Special Education and Early Intervention
Special Education and Early Intervention for children with mental retardation
The children with Mental Retardation have to be trained and educated right from their early age itself. This unit concentrates on developing the skills of these children using various methods which help them to learn in a better way. These efforts are taken in order to prepare the child to get into the general educational stream. We work for individuals with:
- Mental Retardation
- Cerebral Palsy
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Children with Developmental Delay
- Early intervention programme for children with mental retardation
- Gives training for the development of the Activities of Daily Living, Social Skills, Communication, Functional Academics and Play activities.
- To prepare Children With Mental Retardation for mainstreaming.
- Gives training in prevocational and vocational skills.
- Job placement for persons with mental retardation.
At present there are around 52 special children belonging to various socio-economic families. The unit provides academic, vocational, and psychological support to the children and their parents. Other than these supportive services, services like speech therapy and physio-therapy is also provided for the needy children.
Children are placed in each section based on their age. For each unit proper assessment has been done based on the standard checklists developed in India. All children except vocational unit are assessed on (MDPS) – Madras Development Program skill and practical ability and put in 5 divisions. The divisions are
- Early Intervention unit (0-6)
- Primary Section (7-10)
- Secondary Section (11-14)
- Pre-vocational (15-18)
- Vocational (18 Years and above)
Every child, once assessed with their mental ability, is guided towards their classroom for their respective training.
They learn how to
- Socialize and communicate
- Improve fine motor abilities through various fine motor materials
- Pictorial knowledge learning using respective aids
- Read – alphabets, numerical, and other academic skills
- Write – alphabets, numerical, and other academic skills
- Get training in various vocational activities
Short Term Programmes through the Unit
- Parental Training
- One Day Awareness Programme for College Students
- Care giver’s training
- Projects on social work
- Organizing various training programme for Parents, Educators, Teachers, Volunteers and Social Workers